We are 60% water. Water is essential to keep our bodies functioning well. It is crucial for a healthy digestion, helping to break down the food we eat, allowing it to pass through our intestines more easily and boosting nutrient absorption. It also helps temperature regulation, cushions your joints and keeps your skin hydrated and moist. We lose around 1.5 to 2 litres of our bodyâs water daily through breathing, sweating and digestion. So, itâs no wonder we feel thirsty quite a lot of the time. We must replace these 2 litres of water every day, either by drinking fluids or consuming foods that contain water. Of course, when it comes down to needing a thirst quenching glass of water, where do you go? Without hesitation, straight to your kitchen sink. Or sometimes the bathroom when you wake up in the middle night and donât want to make the downstairs trip. Most of us believe that the water that comes out of our kitchen taps has been cleaned thoroughly for our consumption and it has. But with what? You got it, chlorine. Chlorine is a naturally occurring element that, when dissolved in water, forms an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial compound called hypochlorous. Modern water systems use chlorine to help protect us from illnesses by killing all the pathogenic bacteria present in the water. However, it also kills all the beneficial bacteria. When you think about all that chlorine being added to the water to kill the bad bacteria, consuming chlorine will do exactly that in our intestinal tract and will seriously affect all the good bacteria like Lactobacilli and Bifidobacterium. Without these and other beneficial bacteria, our immune system will suffer. In fact, studies show that chlorine in our bath and tap water has been linked to cancer. Chlorine also acts as an estrogen mimic. Once in our bodies, chlorine becomes a false estrogen (Xenoestrogen). These false estrogens contribute to estrogen dominance which can result in both female and male cancers. So, what can we do to make this water healthier and fitter for us to drink? Itâs simple, donât drink unfiltered water. And there are many ways to filter water. The most common is to fit a water filter in your home. A high-quality ceramic filter can remove more than 99% of chlorine, but will be pricey.Â A cheap alternative is to leave the water to stand for at least 20 mins. The chlorine is evaporated in that time and you're left with dechlorinated water. Here at Microbz we can help make your water safer with Ceramic Water Pipes. They have been infused with microbes for that extra microbial boost and are designed to restructure water and make it more easily absorbed by the body. Having a few gulps of the water from your kitchen sink is not going to do you much harm. But remember to make it as un-chlorinated as possible and to pop a probiotic in it every day to give your gut microbiome the resilience that will keep you safe.