We celebrate the power of women all year around, but we love the way in which International Women's Day shines a light on women's and girls' issues every March. Here at our family-run business it's a chance to reflect on the gratitude we have as women in business, to strive for ways in which we can champion more moves towards equity, and to look more specifically at women's health.
Men are from Mars, and women are from Venus - or so the saying goes. We might well scoff at this when we're striving for equity, we're all human after all right? Well yes, but sometimes it can feel pretty apt . . . when we examine the structures and systems within our biology there are some striking differences. The most profound arguably being the endocrine, or hormonal system.
So, in support of International Women's Day - join us as we shine a light on the health benefits of utilising microbes in your life, specifically through the lens of women's health.
First of all, what do we mean by probiotics? Probiotics are live microorganisms that are beneficial for human health, especially for women, and contribute hugely to optimal digestive health. Probiotics are found in various fermented foods, such as yoghurt, kefir, sauerkraut, and kimchi. Here at microbz we cultivate them 100% naturally from healthy soil, we harvest maximum biodiversity for you. Then we add supplementary herbs and minerals. In microbz women (previously Bio-Live women) for example, we take the 15 strains of natural microbes and add key ingredients like Shatavari, Maca root and Dong Quai - all herbs used traditionally for years to support women's health.
Here are ten ways that probiotics help women:
- Boost immunity: by promoting the production of natural antibodies in the immune system that fight off harmful bacteria and viruses. This can help reduce the risk of infections, including urinary tract infections, yeast infections, and bacterial vaginosis.
- Promote digestive health: by balancing the good and bad bacteria in the gut, improving digestive health. Good digestive health means less bloating, constipation, and diarrhoea, making it easier to maintain a healthy weight and overall wellness.
- Prevent yeast infections: by promoting a healthy balance of bacteria in the vagina. The lactobacillus strains found in many probiotics can help keep the pH levels of the vagina in check, making it harder for harmful bacteria to thrive.
- Reduce the risk of bacterial vaginosis: Bacterial vaginosis is a common vaginal infection that can cause itching, burning, and an unpleasant odour. Probiotics can help prevent bacterial vaginosis by promoting a healthy balance of bacteria in the vagina. This can reduce the risk of infection and improve overall vaginal health.
- Improve skin health: by reducing inflammation and promoting healthy bacteria in the gut. This can help reduce the risk of skin conditions such as acne, eczema, and rosacea.
- Boost energy levels: by improving digestion and nutrient absorption. When the gut is healthy, the body is better able to absorb nutrients, which can improve energy levels and reduce fatigue.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease: by reducing inflammation and promoting healthy blood cholesterol levels. This can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Help with insulin sensitivity for conditions like PCOS and Type 2 diabetes: by improving insulin sensitivity and reducing inflammation. This can help lower blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of developing diabetes, particularly for the 1 in 10 women who have polycystic ovarian syndrome or related hormonal conditions.
- Support Mental Health: by improving gut-brain communication. The gut and brain are connected through the gut-brain axis, and a healthy gut can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Improve Overall Health and Wellness: by promoting a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut. This can improve digestion, boost energy levels, and reduce the risk of various health conditions.
Probiotics are an excellent addition to a woman's health regime. We always advocate for getting the foundations in place too, with exercise, a varied diet full of natural ingredients, lots of fresh air and sunlight. A 100% natural probiotic is a wonderful ally to have to add to your health and wellness. Delivering the good bacteria directly into your system boosts the profoundly helpful work that your microbiome does already.
As you look after your microbiome, it looks after you.