I feel very lucky that I am surrounded by microbes – not only the billions in my personal microbiome and those of my family, work colleagues and pets – but also the treasure trove that is the Microbz brewery here at Spirthill. This is my diary of all the different ways I use microbes in July at home, in the office and in the garden. It is not only a routine, but also a solution to almost any problem – and I love knowing that it is 100% chemical free.
- Add Pet Nutrition Booster to our puppy Kit’s drinking water and also to Vic the cat’s wet food. It helps their digestion and prevents worms and other nasties. Millie my sister’s dog is with us while she is on holiday, so she gets some fermented food supplement too. They all lap it up.
- At this time of year I spray the animals’ fur and bedding with Air Freshener A LOT. It prevents fleas because the microbes eat up the dead skin and hair the pests feed on, so the pests wander off to greener pastures outside.
- Drink my splash of Bio-live. I mix it with sparkling water and call it my ‘probiotic cocktail’.
- Spray Power Cleaner around the cat’s feeding bowl, leave a couple of minutes and wipe clean. She is a messy eater and cat food can stick! But I find the bits wipe off easily and there are fewer flies too.
- Spray Plant Boost foliar feed on garden plants and vegetables with a diluted (1:100 or in other words 10ml of Plant Boost to 10 litres of water) mix to build up vitality and disease resistance. What I notice is that the leaves are thicker and greener, with strong new growth.
- I use Plant Boost on black fly in the polytunnels too, or on any trees that show signs of disease. With regular doses, they bounce back well. This year it has been very dry here, so I make sure to spray early in the morning or late in the evening when it is cooler and damper since the microbes thrive in moist conditions.
- This month we visit our new ponds at least twice a day on dog walks, and we marvel how adding Pond Balance has completely got rid of the blooms of blanket weed that appeared in the spring. Now the pond is clear and healthy, and the lillies are in bloom. There are dragon flies and water boatman and the watercress is flowering.
- Pour a little diluted Drains Clean and Clear down sinks, bathtub and shower tray last thing so the microbes can munch away and clean the drains overnight.
- Every Tuesday lovely Tina the cleaner uses the Power Cleaner and Floor Cleaner throughout the office, brewery and living spaces. She loves how they smell and how they clean even though the changeover to mixing in a spray bottle took a bit of getting used to.
- Dirty barbecue grills come up a treat after a 24-hour bath in diluted Drains Clean and Clear. I’ve learned my lesson now and we’ll do it again at the end of the season to put the grills and tongs away clean.
- Put post party food waste on the compost and give it an extra dose of Compost Activator so it breaks down quickly. This might need a few days’ watching to see the fermentation process get going; it is never an exact science because every situation is different but every time we learn more about the power of the products.
- After our two day workshop, spray carpet spots with Textile Cleaner and watch the tea and coffee stains disappear. Sometimes I give stains a final wash with warm water but it is a miracle solution; those billions of microbes love to gobble up organic material.
- Whenever the dishwasher red light comes on I use diluted Power Cleaner (straight out of the spray bottle) instead of Rinse Aid. It does the job and I love knowing that the water that goes down the drain is carrying those beneficial microbes down too.
- Take GOO FOR YOU to our two granddaughters so their immune systems are boosted for all the new experiences of the summer holidays.
Have a wonderful holiday everyone!